Monday, May 17, 2010

Post World War 2 (Malan), 1949

I am D.F. Malan and I would enjoy discussing my road to power. First of all, I am the leader of the Purified National Party, but I had to wait awhile until I finally was given the chance to become Prime Minister. It took fourteen years from the assembling of the National Party to the election that allowed me to become Prime Minister of South Africa, but right now I am the current Prime Minister of South Africa. I sat back and watched the Union Party struggle, but I have to thank them because if they had never struggled to decide whether to please the Afrikaners while at the same time giving other races and religions rights, my rise to power never would have happened. I thought I would be elected Prime Minister directly after World War 2, but Jan Smuts got in my way because the citizens of South Africa decided to continue to support him for a little while after World War 2. The only reason he remained Prime Minister over me was because he was the man who came up with the brilliant plan to take the side of the British during World War 2, which defied J.B.M. Hertzog’s plan to stay neutral during the war and ultimately led to the political downfall of Hertzog although once allied with Smuts. I must give Smuts credit for his decision to remain on the side of the British in World War 2 but supply only a moderate amount of soldiers, so less than 8,000 people died. He held close relations with the British who, ended up being part of the winning side after World War 2, which elevated South Africa’s status.

Although Smuts’ World War 2 plan brought South Africa to glory, I finally received the recognition I deserved in 1948, when I was elected as Prime Minister of South Africa. I won because Smuts was not as in favor of apartheid (a term used to separate one race or religion over other races or religions) as I was. Although I wanted to remain neutral during the war, I remained low key about my opinion on what position South Africa should take during World War 2, so I did not look as bad when the British, with a few other countries, won World War 2 and Smuts’ plan worked. Since I was pro-separation of whites and blacks, all the Afrikaner-dominated rural areas supported my campaign and since they are given unequal electoral weight due to Afrikaner supremacy, it became much easier to win the election. Smuts did put up a good fight, but he is the type of man who is not as willing to completely segregate a race to gain the vote of the primary, most meaningful voters. I was committed to sanctioning white supremacy and the political, economic, and social subordination of blacks in South Africa. I know that black voters and other supporters of white/black equality were not willing to vote for me and as a matter of fact are entirely against my ruling, but I also know that what I am doing makes sense because clearly the Afrikaners are superior to all other races or religions in all of South Africa. It is my wish that everyone speak the Afrikaans language for their best interest, but there are those who think poorly of us because of mere jealousy. One day, I hope that every one in South Africa will become pro-apartheid and be in support of the Afrikaans because they understand how much more respectable and superior we are compared to other races or religions, but as of now, I am fine with being the Prime Minister of South Africa. From there I will elevate Afrikaner supremacy.



-D.F. Malan, December 16th, 1949

No comments:

Post a Comment